Welcome to 'Waiting for TJ'

We have a family blog about our two daughters, Jiejieandmeimei.blogspot.com. When we began the paper chase for a young man named Tianjun, we created a new web home for him. Since he will be about 7 years old when he joins our family, and not an infant as Jiejie and Meimei were, we want to give him as much history as we can as a member of our family, starting with our first look at a photo of him.

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Spinning Out of Control

TJ, Meimei and I made a trip to the otolaryngologist. TJ and Davyn got hearing tests. Mommy was treated to the Epley maneuver.

Meimei's hearing was perfect. TJ's ears were filled with fluid (no wonder he has trouble with final consonants in English),  his tonsils big as meatballs, his adenoids short-timers. We had expected a wait-and-see approach, and were prepared to push for more aggressive treatment, but the doctor made up her mind in seconds.

So, more trauma for TJ, and ice pops and toys and finally, we hope, sound sleep, the ability to breathe normally and relief from the bouts of sinusitis and tonsillitis and bronchitis.  Learning -- and everything else -- should get a little easier after it gets a little harder.  We took the first open surgery slot. It just happens to be Dad's first day at the new office.

Then it was Mommy's turn to get a vertigo treatment. It takes a long time to scrape up the courage to face the spinning and accompanying anxiety. Past treatments haven't worked and this positional vertigo has persisted for five years. A sort of headphone beamed some kind of electrical impulse into the bone behind my right ear to agitate those crazy otoconia that are lodged in the wrong canal. My head hung over the back of the examining table first in dizzy position for 5 minutes, then straight back (normally also a dizzy position) for five minutes and then five minutes hanging over the table to the left. After that, a slow move to a sitting position. I felt great. No sign of that residual near-vertigo I feel at the dentist or hair salon. Woohoo! I walked slowly down the hall to the crowded waiting room where Meimei and TJ were waiting with Haley. TJ jumped up and I snapped my head around, the room made a quick quarter-turn and I was sitting on the floor, feeling very silly. Don't look up, don't look down, don't nod, get a neck brace, try to get down four flights of  escalator at  the Port Authority.

Just a few days until TJ's surgery, and another vertigo treatment. And the world keeps turning.

1 comment:

  1. Helen:Ihad benign positional vertigo for a year and a half. It started after I got slammed from behind in a toll booth on the GS Parkway. My vertigo would last exactly 3 minutes first the world zoomed around a half turn one way, then back. I went to an otolaryngologist who did all those tests. He told me no salt, no caffeine and that the fluid in my ear would build up and then when the dam burst, I'd get vertigo. Also coincided with menstrual stuff when I retained water. They were thrilled since that is a research theory and I had exact data [my spin dates and my ovulation dates] I could not tolerate the water pills. I went to a acupuncturist and that was incredible tho it often brought on the spins early but were less disruptive. [Yes I got it while driving]. I found info. on the Mennier's Disease website and with the acupuncturist treatments put myself on a strict, no sugar, no dairy, no wheat diet. Also, absolutely no red wine, one of the major triggers. And very little if any booze at all. The vertigo subsided and the doctor sent me away quite pleased with himself. He did say that I had also "cured myself." Just wanted to let you know that just as weirdly as it can start, it can stop. Good luck. Love this blog. Really hope we can make a go of a family meet-up. Ginab

    ReplyDelete