Welcome to 'Waiting for TJ'

We have a family blog about our two daughters, Jiejieandmeimei.blogspot.com. When we began the paper chase for a young man named Tianjun, we created a new web home for him. Since he will be about 7 years old when he joins our family, and not an infant as Jiejie and Meimei were, we want to give him as much history as we can as a member of our family, starting with our first look at a photo of him.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Back to Stress

This year we started the school year with a bit more organization than my usual slacker mom lackadaisical planning. My conclusion? It doesn't make a bit of difference!

Yesterday, the day before kindergarten, Meimei and I went to the ice cream social/getting to know you party at her new school. (OK, it's weird to give kids ice cream from 4-5 p.m., but what do I know?) She was a bit shy but very polite, full of please and thank you and willing to tell people her name. She even giggled a little, colored some pictures and generally seemed to have fun.

On the way home she professed to be craving mac and cheese, so off we went for some alone time. Walking through the parking lot on the way to mac and cheese we saw anew clothing shop. Meimei was very interested, so after a bite to eat, flower cookie and some lemonade, we headed next door to the pricey looking new boutique and found a not too terribly expensive but very fashionable long, ruched tee in her favorite blue and a baby-soft pair of jeggings. She wore them today for the first day of kindergarten where I was the last parent to leave the room after disengaging Meimei from my leg. I am sad to see her start school, but proud and happy and wondering if that tiny, tearful little thing will get through the day. I know she will. Kids always do, right? It's just so hard to leave her there sobbing, "Why do I have to go to school? I want Mama!"
While I was up in the Kindergarten room, Daddy was downstairs in the nurse's office with TJ, who was screaming. He screamed about getting out of bed and had to be carried downstairs. He refused to eat his breakfast, ordered the night before. He crawled under the table and lay there holding onto the table leg. Finally I coaxed him out but could not get him to eat even a bite, brush his teeth or use the restroom. Reluctantly he let me  walk him to the car and buckle him in. When we got to school, however, he clung to the car door. I had to sort of pull him along, fighting his resistance as it increased with every step toward the school door. We were blocking traffic as other families hurried in, trying to get out of the rain. People said good morning; TJ screamed.


By the time we left school, TJ was sitting on the floor outside class with his teacher and the school nurse squatting beside him trying to gently talk him into joining the class. They said they'd be in touch. Outside the door the new principal reassured us that he would be OK. I hope sometime soon she reads my email and responds to my phone message about the urgency of getting TJ evaluated so he can start getting some of the services he needs. Onward to start the working day and find more caffeine. Lots more. The idea of breakfast seems repugnant, though. The school anxiety diet? Burn calories with empathy for your kids in transition? Perhaps there's something to this.

1 comment: